Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

General Question About Retains/Persistant variables etc.

2019-03-06
2019-03-08
  • hence.persson - 2019-03-06

Hello all.

Some questions..

This is how I have understood how Persistent and Retain variables are handled on a softPLC installation (Control Win / Linux etc.)

If I do a graceful shutdown of my OS then all retains and persistent variables are stored on file?
    So If I have a UPS and an Industrial PC with Codesys runtime I really have unlimited Retain and Persistent variables? (limited to ram memory capacity?)

Have I understood this correctly or is Retain and Persistent handled differently in this case?

If I for example buy CODESYS Control for Linux SL is this locked to a specific version of the runtime or can the runtime be upgraded without the need of a new license?

CODESYS Control for Linux SL supports CanOpen but where can I find which hardware I can use for CanOpen?

CODESYS Control Win SL under wich operation systems this can be used the following is written:
    Windows 7 / 8 / 10 / Embedded (32 / 64 Bit)

Does this mean I only can run it on a computer with embedded version of Windows or can a regular windows installation be used?

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2019-03-07

Hi,

1) yes unlimited - and high performance on shutdown the retain file will be saved on Startup of the plc - restored
    (this is all done by the runtime nothing to do additional)

2) no the license is valid for all versions

3) basically on Linux you need Socket CAN - so if you have a socket CAN Driver in your kernel… this should work,
    beside that Always possible it to use the EtherCAT - EL6751 CanGateway from Beckhoff. ( no interface in the IPC is needed for doing this)

4) Control Win run on every Windows Version no matter if embedded or not ( expect Windows Embedded Compact 7 - so These former Windows CE systems)

BR
    Edwin

• hence.persson - 2019-03-07

Thanks for good answer..

Just a follow up what about Can on a Windows IPC?
    There are some models with built in CAN interface how do I know if that Will work with Codesys is there a list of supported interfaces somewhere?

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2019-03-08

Hi,

Control WIN
    USB Peak Sytems
    USB IXXAT

Control RTE
    Peak PCI/PCI Express and many more ( no USB possible on RTE)
    check the RTE documentation.

EL6751 Beckhoff Ethercat - CAN Gateway is possible with all SL Runtimes ( RTE / Control WIN / Linux SL)

BR
    Edwin