Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Raspberry pi w/ CODESYS reading from Allen Bradley compactlogix

Anonymous
2019-01-30
2019-07-12
  • Anonymous - 2019-01-30

Originally created by: HA_Noble

Hi all,

I am quite new to CODESYS and raspberry pi, I am just wondering is it possible to use the produced and consumed tags from the AB software with the CODESYS software so I can use the information on the web visualisation of the CODESYS software?

• nikk4s - 2019-02-05

Edwin, that example uses a remote i/o device that is typically installed in the project tree of an Allen Bradley project with the tags populated in the tag database as a group when it is added.

Consumed and Produced tags are user declared tags with a produced tag declared on one controller and a corresponding consumed tag declared on a separate controller. I believe these produced/consumed tags can be of any data type. I'm guessing this is a proprietary implementation and is not compatible with non AB systems. Perhaps a messaging instruction of some sort is possible between the two controllers of different types.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2019-02-05

hm..
    CODESYS plc could be EIP scanner or adapter,
    so I assume that this might be possible for AB Systems ( Add the CODESYS plc as EIP adaper?)
    BR
    Edwin

• vitovt1877 - 2019-02-12

Hi,

I see 2 ways of doing this:

1. Use Raspberry PI as remote adapter. Check this topic l viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5836 l

In CodeSys you add remote input modules. You can use one big input module or several several modules different sizes, it depends from your situation. One tip: big input module is 505 bytes. You need to change size of it to 500 to use it with AB (maximum size of input or output connection parameter is 500).
    In CompactLogix you add Generic Ethernet Module with same size outputs configuration as for inputs in CodeSys.
    Map all tags in CompactLogix Program to outputs of Generic Ethernet Module and you can read them in CodeSys program.

It will give you possibility to pass tags from CompactLogix to Raspberry. If you want to change tags in CompactLogix from Raspi, you need to do it opposite way: outputs at CodeSys side and inputs at CompactLogix plus, I assume, you should use some logic to prevent racing for tags that used both in output and input section.

1. Use explicit messaging. Result of this approach you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZycc7pFr4Q
      All information how to access and modify information in the ControlLogix/CompactLogix PLC you can find in these books
      https://literature.rockwellautomation.c ... _-en-p.pdf
      and "EtherNet/IP Adaptation of CIP Specification"

Thank you!

• mos89@yahoo.com - 2019-07-12

vitovt1877 hat geschrieben:
    Hi,
    I see 2 ways of doing this:
    1. Use Raspberry PI as remote adapter. Check this topic l viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5836 l
    In CodeSys you add remote input modules. You can use one big input module or several several modules different sizes, it depends from your situation. One tip: big input module is 505 bytes. You need to change size of it to 500 to use it with AB (maximum size of input or output connection parameter is 500).
    In CompactLogix you add Generic Ethernet Module with same size outputs configuration as for inputs in CodeSys.
    Map all tags in CompactLogix Program to outputs of Generic Ethernet Module and you can read them in CodeSys program.
    It will give you possibility to pass tags from CompactLogix to Raspberry. If you want to change tags in CompactLogix from Raspi, you need to do it opposite way: outputs at CodeSys side and inputs at CompactLogix plus, I assume, you should use some logic to prevent racing for tags that used both in output and input section.
    2. Use explicit messaging. Result of this approach you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZycc7pFr4Q
    All information how to access and modify information in the ControlLogix/CompactLogix PLC you can find in these books
    https://literature.rockwellautomation.c ... _-en-p.pdf
    and "EtherNet/IP Adaptation of CIP Specification"
    Thank you!

Hi,
    is it possible to have on example for solution 2 Explicir messaging ?