Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Functions

KarlosT
2016-08-05
2016-08-15
  • KarlosT - 2016-08-05

Hello!
    I'm fairly new to programming and I'm struggling using Functions. I'm writing a piece of code that will use one timer for 4 applications within the program... I understand FB's but it's functions I'm unsure of. I'm not sure how to call the function, or how to get a result out of it...

The idea is to have a variable pulsed signal from the function, then use that multiple times and they will have their own setpoints... I've hit a wall at the moment, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Karl

• Anonymous - 2016-08-05

Originally created by: scott_cunningham

Functions do not keep memory - they are made to do some quick thing and that's it - no timers, no counters, etc. (there are ways around this, but avoid this - functions are for "a+b = c" type operations)

Use one FB to be your signal generator. You can then link the output to all four other FBs inputs.

• KarlosT - 2016-08-14

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

In the end I used a function block exactly like you recommended! It took a while for the penny to drop where I was going wrong, but I guess that the point of learning something new!

I'm really getting into ST and IEC 61131-3!

Thanks

Karl

• shooter - 2016-08-15

you can also time a task, i am running a standard blinker with a task on 100 ms.