Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Going online with Codesys without having to re-download?

astrand
2014-09-08
2019-11-05
  • astrand - 2014-09-08

Hi. I'd like to hear if you have any "best practice" wrt to how to work with Codesys projects in practice. Let's assume that we deploy a PLC with some version of our PLC software. Then some time passes, and we would like to perform service, thus go online with Codesys. Unless we have exactly the correct files which was used when the PLC was programmed, Codesys will prompt us to re-download the software. If one wants to avoid this, what needs to be done?

My investigations indicates that it is sufficient to save the .pro and the .ri file. Unfortunately, the .ri file is not created during build, but only upon download. The Codesys manual says:

"The download information is saved automatically at each download and,
    dependent on the target system, potentially also at each offline creation
    of a boot project to a file, which is named <project name=""><target identifier="">.ri and which is put to the project directory."</target></project>

But what does "potentially" mean here? Is it possible to activate this feature?

• shooter - 2014-09-09

i have in every cabinet with a PLC a USB stick with the software that is in the PLC, together with all versions i made.
    So when i get to it, and want the version i have downloaded i put in my stick, take the source and go online. Nowadays i even put the codesys software on the stick so i can start from any laptop. I know they can steal my software, i would love someone trying this, he will get into problems and they will need to call me, to repair the software, (yes i have my own stick with the latest versions of the source always with me).

• iamnotarobot - 2019-11-05

astrand hat geschrieben:
    Hi. I'd like to hear if you have any "best practice" wrt to how to work with Codesys projects in practice. Let's assume that we deploy a PLC with some version of our PLC software. Then some time passes, and we would like to perform service, thus go online with Codesys. Unless we have exactly the correct files which was used when the PLC was programmed, Codesys will prompt us to re-download the software. If one wants to avoid this, what needs to be done?
    My investigations indicates that it is sufficient to save the .pro and the .ri file. Unfortunately, the .ri file is not created during build, but only upon download. The Codesys manual says:
    "The download information is saved automatically at each download and,
    dependent on the target system, potentially also at each offline creation
    of a boot project to a file, which is named <project name=""><target identifier="">.ri and which is put to the project directory."
    But what does "potentially" mean here? Is it possible to activate this feature?</target></project>

I have the same issue. How did you solve it?