Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

EtherCAT Servomotor Control with Raspberry pi and SoftMotion

Anonymous
2017-11-27
2017-11-27
  • Anonymous - 2017-11-27

Originally created by: tt_paolo

Hello,
    I was trying to configure a Raspberry pi as an EtherCAT Master in order to control a Servomotor, as described in this instructable:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Progra ... h-CODESYS/

My problem is that the servo driver that I am using is not included in the Device repository, and although I should be able to import the device description file, all I get when I try to do it is this message:

β€œThis is not an EtherCAT description file” (see screenshot)

The xml file I’m trying to import was extracted with the tool EtherCAT Configurator by Beckhoff (but the servo driver is not a Beckhoff product), so my first question is: is this file the one I am supposed to import? And if not, is there a way to extract the correct one? The servo driver didn’t come with any ESI file whatsoever.

As a workaround I wanted to add a SoftMotion generic drive using SoftMotionLight (it should be feasible since my drive supports DS402), as suggested in this discussion:

l viewtopic.php?t=6254 l

But after adding the EtherCAT_Master and right clicking on it, I cannot find the GenericDSP402 device. This is under Softmotion drives->Softmotion Light EtherCAT drives -> SML_Drive_ETC_GenericDSP402 (see sreenshot), but when want to add it as a device under EtherCAT_Master I can only choose devices under Fieldbusses->EtherCAT->Slave, so SML_Drive_ETC_GenericDSP402 cannot be found. So how should I use SoftMotion Light with my servo?

Thank you very much.
    Paolo

IMG: GenericDSP402.PNG

IMG: AddDevice.png

IMG: ThisIsNotAnEthercatDescriptionFile.PNG

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2017-11-27

Hi,
    it depends on the slave capabilities if it could be added as softmotion ds402 drive.
    Could you add here the ESI file?
    BR
    Edwin