Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

something like 'SoftMotion for Dummies' around ?

pnn
2011-09-25
2011-09-26
  • pnn - 2011-09-25

Hi friends,

I wonder if there is something like a step by step Softmotion tutorial that explains in tiny details how to accomplish some relatively simple softmotion task from A to Z. Like to set a X-Y system to draw a circle, or a rectangle with rounded corners. I have a bit of experience with Codesys 2.3, incl. async. control of servo drives via vendor-specific libraries, but no experience whatsoever with softmotion.
    I have tried to look at the projects in <codesys 2.3="" dir="" install="">\Projects\Motion\Tutorial\ , but none of these projects opens. All the projects there display an error like 'description for module.root not found' and suggest to change the configuration directory (by default set to D:\Codesys\config). Well, under <codesys 2.3="" dir="" install=""> there's no folder named 'config' anywhere.
    First I thought that's because I'm using a vendor-specific(FESTO) version of Codesys 2.3. But later I downloaded Codesys 2.3 from this site and installed it on a fresh XP SP3 machine, and the projects open with exactly the same errors.
    So, any hint for the newbie?
    CoDeSys_SoftMotion_V23 manual will take me ages to examine and test, I need a kick-start with a working project.</codesys></codesys>

Thanks for any suggestions.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2011-09-26

Hi,
    to get a working example softmotion project you need a target with enabled softmotion feature,
    otherwise you get this module.root errormessage reason are the missing config files in the target.

How to solve that:
    Please add the tag at "install RTE V2.3" at the installation procedure of CoDeSys V2.3
    RTE V2.3 is an Softmotion enabled target with that you could run every example in the tutorial.
    After that if you open the projects they should open with controllerconfiguration and it should be
    possible to examine and test how they are working.
    Even a good example is "c:\Program Files\3S Software\CoDeSys V2.3\Projects\Motion\4examples\4examples.pro" which
    give a wide overview of the softmotion features.

Hope this helps
    Edwin