Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

SoftPLC to OPC Server

2015-10-07
2015-10-30
  • sysengineer - 2015-10-07

Hello, first post here

I'm exploring the option of using Codesys as a SoftPLC to test PLC programs on my laptop. I want to install an OPC server on the network that will be used to test applications using OPC data.

Is it possible for the SoftPLC to communicate with a remote OPC server? If so, which OPC servers are compatible?

Also, I'm not sure exactly what functionality the SoftPLC has therefore I'm not sure it is suitable for what I am looking for. Can it / Does it act as a simulator? I don't have any physical IO i want to connect to I just want to simulate IO in the PLC program.

Thanks in advance

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-10-16

Hi,
    I would recommend use CODESYS V3 - Control Win plc.
    This is the softplc without realtime capabilities and an built in OPCUA Server is included.
    No externel OPC Server is needed.
    Optional you could add IO's by an Ethernet based fieldbus (Ethercat/Profinet/EthernetIP.....etc)

How to start?
    Download CODESYS V3
    http://store.codesys.com/engineering/codesys.html
    -After installing and executing the CODESYS developmentsystem to our pc you need to start the plc
    -use attached example project, start the plc, scan it by CODESYS and download the project and start it
    - connect you OPCUA Client to the plc and browse the symbols
    This is a lot easier than using an external OPC Server which offten is hard to configure.
    BR
    Edwin

IMG: startplc.jpg

OPCUA.project [47.03 KiB]

• sysengineer - 2015-10-23

Hi Edwin thanks for your response.

I appreciate the difficulties in configuring an external OPC server but in reality I would find it useful to get the practical experience of solving these issues. Is an external OPC server compatible with the Control Win?

Also, what is the difference between Control Win and Control RTE? I understand RTE is real time but how can a PLC not be real time?

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-10-30

Hi,

yes the OPC Server is compatible with Control Win and Control RTE.

Zitat:
    Also, what is the difference between Control Win and Control RTE?
    I understand RTE is real time but how can a PLC not be real time?

Some Application do not really have this requirement..

BR
    Edwin