Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Soft PLC?

hcchin
2011-10-27
2012-05-21
  • hcchin - 2011-10-27

Hi,

What is the SOFT PLC?

What is the different between PLC and Soft PLC?

Regards,
    hcchin

• JAPIB

JAPIB - 2011-10-27

Hello,

A PLC is specific hardware as Moeller, Wago, ABB, ...
    A Soft PLC is a program that runs on a computer.

When you install CoDeSys V2, a Soft PLC called "CoDeSys SP PLCWinNT" is installed too.

Best regards.

• hcchin - 2011-10-28

Hi,

Do you means we can use the "CoDeSys SP PLCWinNT" as a PLC Controller on our PC?

So We can make use our PC/Laptop to communicate/control with remote I/O?
    (provided if we have the protocol master card is installed on it, like profibus, deviceNet and CanOpen)

Regards,
    hcchin

• JAPIB

JAPIB - 2011-10-28

Hello

Yes of course you can use a PC as a PLC !
    Generally we use an industrial PC rather than a laptop.
    With communication boards, networks and input-output decentralized stations.
    You can use : Profibus, CANopen, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, ....

But you should know two things :
    1Β°) there are two soft PLC : CoDeSys PLC WintNT is dependent on Windows and CoDeSys SP RTE is not dependant on Windows.

2Β°) These are not free soft PLC. You need a licence to use. Without licence they operate in demo mode during two hours, and after they should be re-started

Best regards.

• kumareasu - 2012-03-17

I want to use and IPC(Industrial PC) as PLC. OS may be any coomecially available. I want to buy CoDeSys RT to work with Windows OS.Where to buy and how to Buy?

• KiranK - 2012-03-19

JAPIB hat geschrieben:
    Ask to CoDeSys System Partner in your country.
    You must have a look here :
    http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml? ... empartners
    Best regards

Hi JAPIB,

Your post were really helpful to understand the differnec between the Soft PLC and PLC
    I was eventully not knowing some of these facts which you talked about, but now i am clear
    I just wanted to ask how may instnace of Codesys can we run on One PC as we have given option to have 4 tasks, i will be very greatful to know it

Thank you,

• shooter - 2012-05-21

a soft PLC same as a PLC can have multitasks in one program.
    i prefer to have one program with 4 tasks, so the overview is better.