Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Codesys v3 on Orange PI

2017-11-14
2023-05-27
  • Claudio-Baldo - 2017-11-14

I have found a similar topic but that wasnt helpful and more than a year old. Is it possible to run Codesys on Orange Pi at todays date?
    If yes, what can and what cannot (interfaces, GPIO etc...) be controlled?
    I have tested the Codesys V3 on Raspberry PI and I was wondering what are the differences with the Orange PI, is this the kernel modules for hardware dependence?
    Thank you to everyone for reading and answering to this topic.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2017-11-16

Hi,
    no no this is not possible at the moment and even not planned.
    BR
    Edwin

• boldive - 2023-05-27

Hello. Today is May 2023. Codesys has available Linux ARM64 SL package. OrangePi R1 Plus LTS is based on the Rockchip RK3328 (supports ARMv8-A 64-bit instruction set). According to Linux ARM64 SL description, package supports:
    CPU: ARMv7, ARMv8
    RK3328 and Armbian 23.02 Bullseye should be supported by Codesys Linux ARM64 SL package.

The goal is to play with OrangePi R1 Plus LTS to get PLC running first. Next step is to buy OrangePi 5 Plus to work on the real project to implement Building Automation tasks.

So, I took OrangePi R1 Plus LTS, installed Linux ARM64 SL package and in menu Tools=>Update Linux ARM64 did runtime transfer to OrangePi R1 Plus LTS. After an hour of dancing around, I was able to start to do a gateway setup to communicate with R1 Plus LTS. This step was not completed as Codesys had collected all user name and password for OrangePi including IP address and was doing something without end for >20min telling me: "Device License Reader: Reading the license information from the device". As it was advertised, Codesys can work without license for 2 hours.
    Now I am nowhere, no errors, no warnings, nothing I can press, Codesys is still "Reading license information...."

Does anyone has successful experience installing and configuring Linux ARM64 SL package on Orange Pi?

What is the right procedure/steps to do initial configuration and setup on the ARM64 boards?

Thanks

• boldive - 2023-05-27

An update.
    Popup window to enter user name and password for OrangePi were somewhere on the background, this is why system was waiting for my input and I was waiting for system response.
    Anyways, gateway was successfully initiated and I was able to go online with OrangePi. Downloaded a simple project with no program code but with 3 devices: EtherCAT master om the interface lan0 and BACnet_IP and Ethernet_IP_Scanner on the interface eth0.
    XML configuration files for the Beckhoff EK1100 coupler with few digital and analog slices were taken from the Beckhoff website and installed into Codesys by the Device Repository (Tool Menu).
    After downloading the project into OrangePi I was able to scan EtherCAT network. EK1100 coupler and connected IO modules were successfully detected and added into project.