Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

BeagleBone Black Selfmade CAN Cape

Hummek1904
2016-12-13
2019-07-04
  • Hummek1904 - 2016-12-13

Hello together,
    I try to connect a Beaglebone Black with CANBus. So i build a Beaglebone Cape for CANBus (you see it in picture):

After that, i followed the instruction of this link: http://www.thomas-wedemeyer.de/beaglebo ... ython.html until the CAN test part (because it doesnt work for me).

And now the Problem: If i try to test the bus with "./cansend can0" nothing happens. So i have measure P9 Pin24 (UART1 TXD) againgst ground and the level still stay at 3,1 V (P.S. i measure with a PicoScope).

Now the question is: what did i do wrong ? Or can there be an other mistake ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hummek

IMG: DIY Schematic.jpg

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2016-12-13

Hi,
    using other can capes you need to enable them by:

'For using a CAN cape add following line to /boot/uEnv.txt:
    cape_enable=bone_capemgr.enable_partno=BB-CAN1'

Maybe this helps or at least you know what to 'google' for.

BR
    Edwin

• Anerdgy - 2019-07-04

Just if others find their way here.

I used the same link https://www.thomas-wedemeyer.de/beaglebone-canbus-python.html

Followed it all the way through for auto start etc and it works fine.

for candump you may need to install can-utils ........ ```

sudo apt-get install can-utils

```

then cd /usr/bin

then you can just run ```

candump can1

``` NOTE it is can1 NOT can0 !!!!

In codesys make sure to set the Canbus Network to 1 (Not 0) and the correct baudrate

Then add Canopen Manager and then a device.

And if the device is sending PDO's you'll be able to monitor this immediately.

Hope this helps