Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

remote web visualization

2020-02-19
2020-02-29
  • jeffersonhui - 2020-02-19

Hi,

I have a wireless router and a display (from CrossControl) that runs Codesys and web visualization set up. The wireless router and display are connected to each other via an ethernet cable. I am able to connect to the wireless router with my PC's wifi (or phone wifi), then open a browser and type in an address to view exactly what is on the display wirelessly through this wifi connection.

Is it possible to do this same thing, but remotely over the internet instead? I'm thinking I would have to have the same physical setup, but the with wireless router somehow connected to the internet? I'm a beginner in networking, so please bare with me if my terminology is incorrect.

Thanks.

• sgronchi - 2020-02-20

There are also integrated products ([Display] + WebVisu + cellular modem + [WLAN] + VPN) that allow for exactly this usage with no external router (same automotive grade as CrossControl).
    Else you need to set up a VPN between your display (or at least your router) and your PC.

• RoryLDM - 2020-02-20

Edwin Schwellinger hat geschrieben:
    Hi,
    there is one impressive option beside using VPN:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyf9bCpPa6s
    BR
    Edwin

When will become available?

• jeffersonhui - 2020-02-20

Do you guys know how to physically wire the display up? For example, does the display simply have to be connected to a router (wired or wireless) with an ethernet cable and the router has to be connected to internet somehow?

I personally want to try both ways, VPN and Codesys automation server, but I want to start with VPN. Is it similar to remote access to a computer at home? Or do I have to use port forwarding? I'm not sure if I'm using the correct networking terminology since I am not good at networking yet.

Thanks.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2020-02-20

Hi,

@RoryLDM automation server is already released with this new feature.

and yes port forwarding is needed for VPN

With Automation server this task to see you webvisu is easy - start here:
    https://help.codesys.com/webapp/_cas_fi ... on=1.7.0.0
    You need to install the EdgeGateway on the same device in your case. (maybe you need to ask CrossControl for asistance on doing this)

BR
    Edwin

• RoryLDM - 2020-02-20

Snap, thanks. For some reason I thought that it was not yet available.

• jeffersonhui - 2020-02-20

Would you be able to explain a little on how to use use VPN and port forwarding to access a display remotely through the internet? Or any other technologies I need?

With Codesys automation server, can I still access the display PLC if the display is NOT connected to the same local network? For example, if the display is connected to a wifi router using ethernet cable somewhere else? How would I do that?

Thanks.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2020-02-21

Hi,
    you should find this in your router documentation.
    Forward port 8080 ( this is used by the webvisu by default)

Zitat:
    With Codesys automation server, can I still access the display PLC if the display is NOT connected to the same local network? For example, if the display is connected to a wifi router using ethernet cable somewhere else? How would I do that?

yes this will work!

BR
    Edwin

• jeffersonhui - 2020-02-21

Hi,
    you should find this in your router documentation.
    Forward port 8080 ( this is used by the webvisu by default)
    yes this will work!
    BR
    Edwin

How would "find" the display using Codesys Automation Server over the public network?

• jeffersonhui - 2020-02-21

Hi,
    watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyf9bCpPa6s
    BR
    Edwin

Hi, Edwin,

I watched the video, but I am wondering how to physically connect up the CrossControl display so that it can accessed via the internet and for the Codesys Automation Server to detect it?

Thanks.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2020-02-22

Hi,
    you need to install the Edge Gateway either to the Crosscontrol plc or use a Edgedevice which is in the same network.
    The Edgedevice does the connection to the CODESYS Automation server (Edge Gateway installed on Crosscontrol too).
    The Edge Gateway is available for:
    - Windows
    - Linux amd64 and i386
    - Arm
    Do you know which OS is on the Crosscontrol plc?
    You could do the first test, with adding just a Raspberry pi or BeagleBone to the same network and use this as Edge Gateway.
    (you need to install this: https://store.codesys.com/cas/codesys-e ... 20versions and deploy the armhf on the PI or Beaglebone.
    Later I would recommend in your case to install the Edge to the Crosscontrol device if possible, but depends on your environment.

BR
    Edwin

• jeffersonhui - 2020-02-26

Hi,
    you need to install the Edge Gateway either to the Crosscontrol plc or use a Edgedevice which is in the same network.
    The Edgedevice does the connection to the CODESYS Automation server (Edge Gateway installed on Crosscontrol too).
    The Edge Gateway is available for:
    - Windows
    - Linux amd64 and i386
    - Arm
    Do you know which OS is on the Crosscontrol plc?
    You could do the first test, with adding just a Raspberry pi or BeagleBone to the same network and use this as Edge Gateway.
    (you need to install this: https://store.codesys.com/cas/codesys-e ... 20versions and deploy the armhf on the PI or Beaglebone.
    Later I would recommend in your case to install the Edge to the Crosscontrol device if possible, but depends on your environment.
    BR
    Edwin

Hi, Edwin,

Sorry for the late reply. The CrossControl PLC runs a Linux OS. We checked with CrossControl and they said that they can run Codesys Automation Server. I suppose if I want to run the server to connect a PC and a display remotely, I would have to connect them on the same network using a VPN?