Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Hex string

NBCC
2017-09-06
2023-09-19
  • NBCC - 2017-09-06

Hi all,

I have converted an array of bytes into a string. Worked like a charm with the oscat function btw.
    Now i have to put it into hex-values. Any way to create a string with hex values?

Thanks

• Anonymous - 2017-09-08

Originally created by: scott_cunningham

You can make your own solution by using two offsets. Look at each byte. If it is >=10 then add 55 to it (A is ascii 65). For smaller number, add ascii offset for 0 - sorry don't remember if it is 40 or 42). Examine bytes from highest to lowest and con at your chars.

There is probably a prebuilt function somewhere, but it may take you longer searching for it than building it.

• NBCC - 2017-09-11

scott_cunningham hat geschrieben:
    You can make your own solution by using two offsets. Look at each byte. If it is >=10 then add 55 to it (A is ascii 65). For smaller number, add ascii offset for 0 - sorry don't remember if it is 40 or 42). Examine bytes from highest to lowest and con at your chars.
    There is probably a prebuilt function somewhere, but it may take you longer searching for it than building it.

OK that's great but still facing a major problem for me.
    Let's say i got value 58 in one byte. Then i want it displayed as 3A. (Hex is 4 bits). And i don't see any solution in it then

• Anonymous - 2017-09-11

Originally created by: scott_cunningham

58 = 0011 1010 in binary. Hex uses four bits (nibble). You have to look at the upper four bits (3), then the lower four bits (A).

A WORD uses two bytes (four nibbles) and can have a number from 0000 to FFFF hex.
    A BYTE uses one byte (two nibbles) and can have a number from 00 to FF hex.

Here is a crude function to convert a BYTE to a two char string. It is up to you to expand it for longer variable types...

FUNCTION BYTE_TO_HEX_STRING : STRING
    VAR_INPUT
    Input : BYTE;
    END_VAR
    VAR
    Temp : BYTE;
    Chr : BYTE;
    Ans : STRING;
    END_VAR

Temp := SHR(Input, 4);
    IF Temp > 9 THEN
    Chr := Temp + 55;
    ELSE
    Chr := Temp + 48;
    END_IF
    Ans[0] := Chr;

Temp := SHR(SHL(Input,4),4); //wipes upper nibble (could also mask...)
    IF Temp > 9 THEN
    ELSE
    END_IF
    Ans[1] := Chr;
    Ans[2] := 0; //null char

BYTE_TO_HEX_STRING := Ans;

• NBCC - 2017-09-12

scott_cunningham hat geschrieben:
    58 = 0011 1010 in binary. Hex uses four bits (nibble). You have to look at the upper four bits (3), then the lower four bits (A).
    A WORD uses two bytes (four nibbles) and can have a number from 0000 to FFFF hex.
    A BYTE uses one byte (two nibbles) and can have a number from 00 to FF hex.
    Here is a crude function to convert a BYTE to a two char string. It is up to you to expand it for longer variable types...
    FUNCTION BYTE_TO_HEX_STRING : STRING
    VAR_INPUT
    Input : BYTE;
    END_VAR
    VAR
    Temp : BYTE;
    Chr : BYTE;
    Ans : STRING;
    END_VAR
    IF Temp > 9 THEN
    ELSE
    END_IF
    Ans[0] := Chr;
    Temp := SHR(SHL(Input,4),4); //wipes upper nibble (could also mask...)
    IF Temp > 9 THEN
    ELSE
    END_IF
    Ans[1] := Chr;
    Ans[2] := 0; //null char
    BYTE_TO_HEX_STRING := Ans;

Thanks
    I managed to get it to work for longer variable types. Worked like a charm

• kdkwhite - 2023-05-12

Hello NBCC, I work on the same problem as you but I have to work with WORDs and not BYTEs, could you please explain me how did you managed to get it to work for longer variable types ?

I know this is an old post but I still hope that someone will answer...

in fact (this question is more for scott_cunningham) , I don't understand why and what is really done here :
    "
    IF Temp > 9 THEN
    ELSE
    END_IF
    "

Thanks

• alimans - 2023-09-19

Hi kdkwhite,
      for Word you still can use suggested code by using a union structure and crack down your Word to two byte as bellow:

TYPE CrackWordToByte :
      UNION
          InWord : WORD;
          OutBytes : ARRAY [0..1] OF  BYTE;
      END_UNION
      END_TYPE

then define your variable as this type:

udInput : CrackWordToByte;

now assign your Word variable input to InWord and send OutBytes[x] to the mentioned method:

udInput.InWord := WordVariableInput;
      Input := udInput.OutBytes[x];

Regarding your question about the code: actually 48 is ascii code of "0" and while 65 is the ascii code of "A" so in above code 55 + 10 would be 65.

Last edit: alimans 2023-09-20