Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Device API Access from Codesys

Araforn
2017-03-01
2018-12-16
  • Araforn - 2017-03-01

Hi All,

I've embarked on a home automation project using Codesys on my Raspberry Pi 3 and have a key question regarding access device API from my PLC program.

I've been using home automation devices for some time and currently I have a Samsung Smarthings hub with various devices connected to the hub over different protocols like: Z-Wave, Zigbee, WIFI. The hub takes status from all these devices and has a community of developers building smartapps that allows you build logic for Motion sensors, lighting, switches and so on. On its own its a very good home automation platform.

I've used Codesys in industry as part of my work as an automation engineer so essentially I want to bypass the Smarthings Application and take the device status of all my existing connected devices and build my own logic and visualization.

Doing research I have found a developer REST API that will give me access to all my Samsung Smarthings devices. It will give me access if I can make requests within my PLC program. This is something I don't have any experience with and hopefully someone can shed some light.

I'm assuming over TCP I can make these requests but to implement this in a FB in codesys, I'm not sure where to start?. I will continue my research but If anyone has any experience accessing any device API through codesys this would be great.

Thanks in advance all,

Best Regards.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2017-03-02

Hi,
    Sounds very interesting
    could you give a small overview which devices exaclty
    'Samsung Smarthings hub with various devices connected to the hub' you are using?

BR
    Edwin

• RoryLDM - 2018-12-16

I am looking to do something similar. The easiest way seems to maybe be IFTTT but I'm not sure how to use that with Codesys.

I also have a professional interest since the Philips hue and Nanoleaf products would make great lighting indicators. I deal in agricultural automation so something like that would be fun and a good wow factor.

Edit: I do apologize. I haven't done much research for this beyond searching for examples of people using IFTTT with Codesys or talking about it in relation to Codesys. I haven't found anything but haven't yet looked at the technical requirements to write my own implementation, or even if that would be possible with my skills.