Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Using Codesys on Raspberry PI with Peak HMI

2015-02-07
2015-04-03
  • jsolderitsch - 2015-02-07

In my class we are using Peak HMI via modbus-tcp to define an HMI. We have this working with another control logic development approach from Rex Controls. But Rex Controls does not offer ladder logic as an option but Codesys does

I know Codesys provides its own HMI design and execution capability but using an external HMI design tool seems like it offers my students a more diverse educational opportunity.

I believe I have seen posts here on the forum about modbus support but I wonder if there is some material I can read or an example I can follow. Peak allows you to define points (tags) and bind them to modbus registers. I would need to learn how to set modbus registers from within Codesys so I can both export state changes in the logic and then allow incoming modbus messages be converted to information that can cause changes to the logical state of the running control program. If I am managing a PiFace for example and I press a switch to light an LED, I would like that information to be sent via modbus-tcp so that the HMI shows the LED lit up. If I press an HMI switch that is mapped via an address to the actual switch, then I would want the PiFace LED to change state. I know how to create the UI in HMI, but I need some advice to have the interaction to the Codesys designed running logic.

Thanks

Jim

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-02-08

Hi Jim,

you could use OPC DA to connect the HMI, (this is what I see in the Peak HMI specifications ..)
    you need to add a Symbol configuration by rightlick on Application.
    There you could configure the variables which you want to publish and have accesible via the Peak HMI.

BR
    Edwin

• Anonymous - 2015-04-03

Originally created by: Mark-

Hello,

Edwin Schwellinger hat geschrieben:
    Hi Jim,
    you could use OPC DA to connect the HMI, (this is what I see in the Peak HMI specifications ..)
    BR
    Edwin

While PeakHMI does provide a built-in OPC client, PeakHMI also includes 22+ native communication protocol drivers. One of the included native drivers is MODBUS TCP.

All of the drivers, OPC client and OPC server are included in the price.

Regards,

Mark

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-04-03

Hi Mark,

does it support OPCUA?
    CODESYS Raspberry Pi has a OPCUA Server embedded...

BR
    Edwin

• Anonymous - 2015-04-03

Originally created by: Mark-

Hello,

Edwin Schwellinger hat geschrieben:
    Hi Mark,
    does it support OPCUA?
    CODESYS Raspberry Pi has a OPCUA Server embedded...
    Edwin

PeakHMI supports OPC DA.

When I am asked "Should I use OPC or a native driver?", I always answer "Use a native driver."
    Regards,

Mark