Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

License?

2015-01-17
2015-05-14
  • urbanlarsson - 2015-01-17

Hi!

How does the licens for Raspberry work, when i buy a licens, I have to buy one USB-dongel from Codesys to store the license on?

Is the licens then stored on the USBdinbgle, so i can move it around among my computers? Does the license lock up to to one raspberry or can I use it on all my rapberries?

/U

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-01-17

Hi,

if you buy a license from store you could activate it either on an USB dongle (runtime security key from store)
    or as softlicense on a pi (only the pi on which you activate the license works with that license)
    USB dongle license could be plugged on every pi you have.

One remark:
    To activate it on the key, plug the key to your windows pc not to the raspberry pi

BR
    Edwin

• urbanlarsson - 2015-01-18

Okey, so if i buy a dongle, i can use the same licenses on all my PI's and on every computer i have?

/U

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-01-19

yes.
    BR
    Edwin

• urbanlarsson - 2015-01-20

If I put my licens on the PI, can I then transfer it to a dongle when i buy one?

/U

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-01-21

Hi,

no, license transfer is not possible.
    Sorry for that.

BR
    Edwin

• yannickasselin1 - 2015-04-29

There are different kind of Dongle available on the Codesys store.
    I would like to buy a compact one.
    There are 2 kinds of compact key (Runtime Key and Security Key).
    Will both work for a Raspberry Pi Runtime?

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-04-29

Hi,

I would recommend to buy a runtime key,
    using this it is then possible to do additional bootproject encryption. (know how protection)

BR
    Edwin

• yannickasselin1 - 2015-05-12

I bought a runtime key and activated the Raspberry Pi License on it.
    I plugged the dongle into my Raspberry Pi.
    Now do I need to do anything special so that the Raspberry Pi sees the license on the dongle?

IMG: License.png

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-05-12

Hi,
    the importent thing to know:
    1.Plug the key for the activation process to a Windows machine which has CODESYS installaed - Activation by CODESYS Licensemanager
    2. then connect to the Pi and brwose the license on the Pi (sure meanwhile you have plugged the USB Key to the PI with the license )

See screenshot how to browse the license on the stick.

BR
    Edwin

IMG: SecurityKey_PILicense.jpg

I already activated the license on the dongle through internet.
    I can see the license when I connect the dongle to my laptop.
    But I don't see it when it is connected to the Raspberry Pi. Even if I click on reload dongle.

IMG: LicenseLaptop.png

IMG: LicenseRaspi.png

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-05-12

Hi,
    please contact the CODEYS support.
    Think we need a remote session for this.
    BR

Edwin Schwellinger
    3S - Smart Software Solutions GmbH

After the 2 hours demo the runtime stopped.
    I did sudo reeboot and now it sees the dongle.
    Cannot explain why but after a reboot, it worked!

IMG: LicenseRaspi.png

Hi,
    After some tests, here's what I noticed:

The first time you boot the Raspberry Pi with the dongle connected, it doesn't see it. You need to reboot and then it sees it.

Once it sees it, if you shut the power off on your Raspberry Pi without doing a clean shutdown, it won't see the Dongle on the next boot.

You always need to do a clean shutdown in order to see the Dongle on the next boot.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2015-05-13

Hi,

this does not happen on my Pi.
    which distirbution/Image are you using?

BR
    Edwin

• yannickasselin1 - 2015-05-13

I am using the most recent image on a Raspberry Pi B.

I also noticed another thing. I do a clean reboot so I can see the dongle and then let my runtime run for the night. The next morning, it is still running but I don't see the dongle anymore. Strange because the runtime is still running.

Anyway, I will do some more tests on another Raspberry Pi B and also on a Raspberry Pi 2 and I will let you know.

Thank you.

• yannickasselin1 - 2015-05-14

I did some more tests with a Raspberry Pi 1 and a Raspberry Pi 2 with a clean image on both.

The Raspberry Pi 2 works fine. It will detect the dongle even if I don't do a clean shutdown. It will also detect the dongle after letting it run for a long period of time.
    I tried unplugging it a lot of times without doing a clean shutdown and every time it detects the dongle on the next boot.

The Raspberry Pi 1 really need a clean shutdown to detect the dongle on the next boot.
    I tried unplugging it a lot of times without doing a clean shutdown and every time it will not detect the dongle on the next boot.
    But every time I do a clean shutdown or a clean reboot, it works.