Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Raspberry Watchdog

lsislsis
2014-09-22
2014-09-22
  • eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2014-09-22

Hi,

as I see this should already work on a licensed Raspberry Pi, on a unlicensed Pi
    you'll have the problem after the 2h demo the load does increase, therefore the whatchdog might
    lead to an unwanted reboot.
    Can someone confirm this?
    BR
    Edwin

• lsislsis - 2014-09-22

Hi Edwin

Do you mean that the licenced and unlicenced Raspberries they differ in functionality?
    Can i check the function of Raspberry watchdog before take a licence?
    I don't care for an unwanted reboot because we need this only for tests before licence.

Regards

• eschwellinger

Hi,
    functionality difference not, this is for sure!
    But there is an issue if the runtime of 2h is over, the runtime increase the processorload
    which maybe lead to an trigger of the watchdog.

Can i check the function of Raspberry watchdog before take a licence?
    yes so this also a test for the whatdog function - after two hour you should see a reboot
    I don't care for an unwanted reboot because we need this only for tests before licence.
    Let me know if this happens.
    I will test this too.

BR Edwin

• lsislsis - 2014-09-22

Hi Edwin.

That's what I need, a sample project to see how I can use the Raspberry watchdog from codesys IEC control.

Regards

• eschwellinger

Hi,
    one moment then this is a misunderstanding,
    from CODESYS project there is nothing which you need to add.
    You just install the watchdog this is what you have as description in your link.
    That is it-> In the config of the watchdog you setup the load... !
    Todo more makes no sense, on an non hard realtime capable environment like the Raspberry Pi it is.
    (I mean triggering the watchdog from runtime side make no sense... except you have realtime in your runtime task which is not the case on raspberry pi)
    Do you agree ?
    BR
    Edwin

• lsislsis - 2014-09-22

Hi Edwin.

We need the watchdog because if we have any bug in our IEC code or we lost serial communication we need to reboot the system to make sure that we continue working.

• eschwellinger

hm... but the only thing what you can react on is if you do accidentally an endless loop in your application,
    this will lead to an reboot. (triggered by the external watchdog from your link)

In this case I would recommend to use the Watchdog function on the tasks or use the plcload watchdog
    which you could configure in the CODESYSCOntrol.cfg

If you detect that serial communication from you application does not work anymore and this should cause a reboot triggered
    by your application I would recommend to use Sysprocess to call the reboot manually by your application.
    here is a link for executing a reboot:

l viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5714#p10298 l

BR
    Edwin

• lsislsis - 2014-09-22

Codesys control for Raspberry is a soft plc and everything can go wrong in operating system.
    The only sure is a hardware watchdog.
    Any example how can use the hardware watchdog from IEC?

• eschwellinger

Hi,
    what should this function called from CODESYS do?
    retrigger the watchdog (if not retriggered -> reboot)?
    That is what I have tried to examplain already this make no sense in a non realtime environment,
    because another Linux process (outside the plc runtime) could use 100% processorload - what should happen then?

For this you could install the watchdog - use it outside of the runtime - nothing special what you need to call from the CODESYS runtime,
    BR
    Edwin

• lsislsis - 2014-09-22

Thatt's exactly we want to do:
    1) enable watchdog with time set.
    2) retrigger the watchdog

It make sense because we talk for non real time environment, not for non work environment.

Because I am not expert in Linux ask you for your help.

• eschwellinger

Hi,
    no, for now,the only way to use the watchdog is the way you use it under Linux
    outside the runtime.
    Let me check other options.
    BR
    Edwin