Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

CAN and CANopen on Raspberry PI - steps or tutorial?

syoma
2020-02-13
2021-12-10
  • syoma - 2020-02-13

Dear Codesys fans and developers,

I'm using Codesys Runtime on RPi for lab equipment and it's gorgeous for it's money with EtherCAT support etc. But now I would like to start experimenting with CAN and CANopen. I see, that CANopen for RPI shall be available according to the runtime datasheet, but don't see any examples on how to make it working. I also interested in simple CAN first, before starting with CANopen.

Can Codesys developers help and provide some material or tutorial on:
    - What additional HW is needed? I have couple of USB-CAN adapters from Ixxat and Peak. Will they work with Codesys? Datasheet suggests only EL6751 terminal - is it the only HW supported?
    - How to setup Codesys to work with CAN and CANopen using this HW on Rpi? Any simple project which reads or writes CAN messages would be appreciated.
    - Any common errors, debug solutions?

My plan is to build a simple CAN logger for lab purposes first and then move to more complex things.

Thank you.

UPD just found this http://www.industrialberry.com/can-bus-with-codesys/ m

• thkfighter2 - 2021-12-03

Have you solved your problem?

• bruno-roth - 2021-12-09

Hello, if you are using e.g. the debian buster based Os the PeakCANUSB-adapter is already supported with SocketCan. If you want to use this in CODESYS you have only to enable the component in the CODESYSControl_User.cfg. Then you could direct use the CanBus adapter and all protocoldevices like CanOpen.

Last edit: bruno-roth 2021-12-09