Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Saving remanent varibale to PC

FAn
2014-01-17
2014-02-12
  • FAn - 2014-01-17

Hi, I'm using an ABB 500 plc (PM591) and I've already lost a few times all my parameters.
    I set the variables I want to keep as "retain persistent" and I create an online boot project so in normal situation it's ok. But if something goes wrong (it already did more than once) I want to have a backup on my pc.
    Is there a way to save the online boot project also on my pc? Because I think the boot project created offline doesn't have the right values of the variables.

• FAn - 2014-01-24

Guys I need some help with this. I've again lost all parameters.
    It goes like this: at some point when I try to download I get a Communication Error (#0) logout performed. I can ping the plc, I can go online but if I try to download I always get this.
    I can reset the plc but it doesn't help. When I switch it off and on the previously loaded boot project doesn't run and I lose everything. Then I can download normally and everything works ok till next time that this problem starts (unknown cause).

• JohanH - 2014-01-25

Hi
    For ABB AC500 the value of the retain variables could be saved and load from a SD card with help of "saveretain" and "restoreretain" in the PLC browser.

You could then backup all values to a standard SD card and then restore them when needed.

Check out chapter "13.2.5 Storing and Loading Retentive Data to/from an SD Card" in the "Target system" part of the help file.

Regards
    Johan

• swtroelofs - 2014-02-12

You could also use the: 'Watch- and Recipe Manager'. Here you can add a new watch list and type in all the retained variables you like to save on your laptop. Now when you go online with your PLC, you can click: 'Read Recipe' and you have a copy of all the data in the PLC.

Now when you lose all the data in the PLC you can easily restore it by writing the recipe back to the PLC.

Good luck!

• shooter - 2014-02-12

No you can not save the online values, however you can save values on a sd card
    anytime the program is changed the values will be reset, see manual on retain.