Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

softplc <-> opc <-> simulated process, does it w

Anonymous
2006-02-01
2010-10-05
  • Anonymous - 2006-02-01

Originally created by: JuPe

Hello,

I have a descrete event simulation model of a manufacturing line. The simulation tool has an integrated OPC client for accessing the model's I/O signals.

I am thinking to build a training system for teaching 1131 programming with a soft plc tool over this simulation system.

My question is, could I use codesys soft plc to write a control application, which reads process measurements and writes control signals to the simulation model via codesys opc server?

sensor -> simulator opc client -> codesys opc server -> soft plc input

and

soft plc output -> codesys opc server -> simulator opc client -> actuator

Thanks!

JuPe

• RolandWagner

RolandWagner - 2006-02-06

Yes, of course such a configuration is possible.

You can use the CoDeSys OPC server to communicate with any OPC client in writing and reading mode. The CoDeSys SoftPLCs (both CoDeSys SP RTE with hard real time properties as well as PLCWinNT with soft real time properties) can communicate with any OPC client via the CoDeSys OPC server. As the OPC standard is not very strict in special cases there might nevertheless be some problems. Anyway CoDeSys is tested for the most important OPC clients. In case of problems please do not hesitate to contact the 3S support hotline.

The same configuration is used when there is a data exchange with other OPC clients, e.g. visualisation systems.

• crl - 2010-10-01

Codesys can act as OPC server and communicate with OPC client.

Could we also use CoDeSys as an OPC client and communicate with an opc server?

Regards

Cyril

• RolandWagner

RolandWagner - 2010-10-05

So far CoDeSys only has an OPC server and cannot act as an OPC client.

There is a proprietary interface available which can handle both directions (PLCHandler), but this is of course no longer OPC.