Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

OPC Server, zero values when communication down

manel
2016-10-04
2016-11-11
  • manel - 2016-10-04

I'm using Codesys OPC Server v3.5 SP9 to communicate with ABB PLC's over Codesys Gateway v2.3.
    Using old version of OPC Server (v2.3), when connection went down between server and PLC, item values remain with last good value.
    With new version of OPC server I don't know how to do that and all item values go zero when communication breaks down.
    There are any configuration to freeze last good values? In my sistem this fact is very important.
    Thanks

• Anonymous - 2016-11-11

Originally created by: scott_cunningham

You may have to implement some code that determines if the communication has stopped and latches the values itself. Maybe the OPC server implementation was changed... this discussion on what to do - hold values or set to 0 is not something that can be resolved. Depending on the application, the "best" solution changes.

I had a system that used a EthernetIP to Profibus gateway - it held the value when the communication stopped. I had no way of tripping a fieldbus error. I ultimately I had to have the host toggle a bit between every transmission. I setup two timers on the receiver - one reset the count when the bit was high, and the other reset when the bit was low. If either reached 50ms, I lost communication.

Maybe you could have the host toggle two bits (opposite of each other) - if both are 0, then you have lost communication - don't use the new values. Additionally, don't update your values unless the bits actually flipped.