Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Recognition of smybol file entries in Client?

JohnnyB
2011-07-15
2011-07-20
  • JohnnyB - 2011-07-15

Simple question:
    Can OPC client (in my case WinCC flexible 2008) read/list symbol entries/variables of codesys program without being connected to PLC? I need a list of all tags created from symbol file to make a visualization.

I'm using easy soft Codesys V2.3.5, Codesys OPC Server V2.3.9.5. Program is configured to work with Moeller XC-CPU101-C128K-8DI-6DO, but the problem is that I don't have access to any proper hardware at the moment.

I tried many solutions, from generating .sym and .sdb files and inserting them manually to Gateway File folder, but I see the main problem in OPC configurator which requests PLC settings. Every time client tries to connect to OPC I get errors in log file like this:
    ERROR: Open communication to <plc_single> failed</plc_single>

I even tried to switch to multiPLC configuration to uncheck Active option (I don't get any errors) but relation server-client acts like in test mode (exception is that I don't get any item list).

Please help!

• Anonymous - 2011-07-20

Originally created by: Captive Engineer

Hi, JohnnyB.

A couple years ago I was working on something similar in that I had an industrial PC running WinCC Flex runtime linked to a CoDeSys controller. I seem to recall that if you wanted Flex to grab symbol entries for populating a variable/tag/symbol list, it did in fact require a live OPC server, at least if you were bringing each symbol in "by hand."

This seemed pretty tedious to me, so I wrote a Visual Basic script (for the PC, not for WinCC Flex) that parsed the OPC symbol file into a CSV file that Flex could then import. With over 400 symbols in that project (a lot for some people, a laugh for others), it saved me quite a bit of work.

If this sounds like it could be a help to you, let me know and I'll try to unearth more details.

Kind regards,
    The Captive Engineer