Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Calling OPC UA Methods from UaExpert

e.kislov
2019-07-24
2023-09-20
  • e.kislov - 2019-07-24

Hi.
    I try to call method through OPC UA Server with UaExpert as OPC UA client.
    I use CODESYS Control Win V3 (3.5.14.30).

1. I edit devdesc:

2. I create simple project with one FB and one method:

3. I add symbol configuration and set option Support calls...

4. I add my FB to symbol configuration and set "execute" permissions for FB and method.

5. I download and start project.

6. In UaExpert I see my FB (but don't see method) and command "Call" for FB not active.

So how I can call methods through OPC UA?
    It would be great to see a simple example, maybe make sense to add it in FAQ:
    https://faq.codesys.com/display/CDSFAQ/ ... plications m

IMG: OpcUaCalls01.jpg

IMG: OpcUaCalls02.jpg

IMG: OpcUaCalls02.5.jpg

IMG: OpcUaCalls06.jpg

IMG: OpcUaCalls04.jpg

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2019-07-24

Hi,
    this is the way it will work for the future yes,
    but there are missing two jiras ( see no release date on this) to have it up and running that way.

BR
    Edwin

• e.kislov - 2019-07-24

Thank you for info.
    I was confused with this new target setting and CDS-64761 (this issue looks like this feature already works).
    By the way, it will be nice to see example in FAQ after support this feature.

• doffrell - 2021-06-09

Hi
    I'm trying to call a method from UaExpert with an OPC UA server in Codesys V3.5 SP17.
    I don't have the option "Support calls to Functions, FB's, Methods and Programs" in my symbol configuration and I can't find the file to edit to make it visible in the example above.

• i-campbell

i-campbell - 2021-06-09

Hello @doffrell, you will need an OPC UA Information Model, which contains methods, with only the currently supported datatypes. Here is one with some integers and arrays.
    You could edit the XML to make available your own methods.

Last edit: i-campbell 2021-06-11
  • doffrell - 2021-06-11

I get an error message when trying to open the information model in that project:
    A required model could not be found in the repository: https://codesys.com/UA/objecttest/, 2020-09-16 (codesys.com)

I can create a new information model in the project (though not in my other projects), but how do I edit it to include my method? Is there a PDF manual of how information models are handeld in Codesys?

• i-campbell

i-campbell - 2021-06-11

Hi doffrell, I seem to not be able to attach the information models to the archive... so I have added them to the previous post as InfoModels.zip

• doffrell - 2021-06-14

Thanks for the files

• chris12345 - 2023-09-20

Hi,
    Is it possible to generate an .xml file with FBs and methods from Codesys? Or do I need a separate program to generate the .xml file? Or is there a otherway to use methods via opc ua from the own project?