Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

OSCAT_BASIC.SUN_TIME

S1ack
2019-05-08
2019-05-08
  • S1ack

S1ack - 2019-05-08

I am having trouble with understanding the OSCAT_BASIC.SUN_TIME outputs:
    2 Issues
    1) Sunrise and Sunset outputs are TOD in UTC, I wish to convert them to TOD in local time: It escapes me.
    2) When I change the locale and date the output UTC TOD for sunrise and sunset make no sense to me.

1) If I can combine TOD with a date format, and get UTC (UDINT) out, I can use SysTimeRtcConvertUtcToLocal to get local time.

2) For testing I have this simple setup...
    When I enter the locale and date as in the OSCAT Basic documentation - the output data matches, and makes some sense - i.e. sunrise is before sunset.

osrCalcSunTime : Standard.R_TRIG;
    fbSunTime : OSCAT_BASIC.SUN_TIME;
    //   Calculate sunrise and sunset times
    osrCalcSunTime( CLK := xPLCqCalcSunTime);
    IF osrCalcSunTime.Q   THEN
       fbSunTime(   LATITUDE   :=    47,                  //   Charlotte NC 35.2271
                   LONGITUDE   :=   122,               //   Charlotte NC 80.8431
                   UTC         :=   D#1970-01-01 );
    END_IF
    dsDPS_Sun[1].todMidday      :=   fbSunTime.MIDDAY;
    dsDPS_Sun[1].todSunRise    :=    fbSunTime.SUN_RISE;
    dsDPS_Sun[1].todSunSet      :=   fbSunTime.SUN_SET;

This makes sense
    Midday = 11:16 (noon-ish)
    Rise = 6:22 (morning)
    Sun = 16:09 (afternoon

When I enter my locale, and today's date. The outputs make no sense to me.
    Midday = 06:32
    Rise = 16:12
    Set = 13:56

I also tried using the CALENDER_CALC function as the rise and set times are listed as being in local time.
    However when I compared outputs with alamanc data from my locale at 3 dates in this year (2 in standard time 1 in daylight time) I saw ~45 minute offset. When I checked that this offset held after adjusting locale and time zone to Seatlle, WA - the offsets were completely different, and not consistent.

I have done sunrise sunset calcs in Siemens S7 portal, and in LabVIEW and while getting standard/daylight correct can be an issue to fight with, I was always able to correlate the computed times within a few minutes of almanac times available online.

The target is a Parker PAC controller. It has a RTC and from what I see by way of SysTimeRtcGetTimeZone function it is modern in it's handling of daylight time.

Any insight / help is greatly appreciated.

IMG: Bild

Related

Talk.ru: 1

• S1ack

S1ack - 2019-05-08

S1ack hat geschrieben:
    When I enter my locale, and today's date. The outputs make no sense to me.
    Midday = 06:32
    Rise = 16:12
    Set = 13:56

I'll add that when I add my tie zone -utc offset to these times it still makes no sense to me. I'm thinking I need to read up more on UTC.

• S1ack

S1ack - 2019-05-08

Nevermind - The function block locale coordinates are REAL. My locale is West (negative real) of prime meridian - I was testing with a value that is East (positive real).