Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Crash on device cache build - help !

kingd123
2018-11-22
2023-03-31
  • kingd123 - 2018-11-22

Hi,

I'm new to CoDeSys, and unfortunately I'm running into problems with CoDeSys crashing.

On CoDeSys start, if I try to open the archive of a project, or a project, or even just go to Tools > Device repository with nothing loaded in CoDeSys, a message comes up on screen, saying:

Rebuilding device cache
    The installed device description files are ready to build a cache. This will take some time.

The PC starts running really slow, with blue spinning cursor. And 5 minutes later, CodeSys crashes.
    I've searched the forum, and also googled, but unfortunately was unable to find mention of this problem

Here's what I've tried myself, so far, to see if I could find out where the problem arises. All without success, unfortunately.

1) Rebooted
    2) Uninstalled CodeSys, rebooted, reinstalled
    3) Installed CoDeSys on another PC (first is Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, second Win10 Enterprise 64-bit V1703 15063.1446)
    4) Ran CoDeSys as Administrator, just in case that was the problem
    5) Re-extracted project from virgin archive file
    6) Navigated into hidden folder C:\ProgramData\CoDeSys\Devices, and renamed the devicecache.xml file within, to xdevicecache.xml, to get CoDeSys to re-generate a fresh one
    7) As 6), but deleted said file
    8) Navigated into hidden folder C:\ProgramData\CoDeSys and renamed Devices folder to xDevices, to try to get CoDeSys to regenerate, but it baulked at missing drivers.

About 3), I got the same message during install. Then something named RepTool crashes. CodeSys otherwise seemed to have installed OK.

I'm using 'CoDeSys V3.5 SP1 Patch 2', as that is what was used for the project. If at all possible, I really need to keep with that, to be sure we are generating the same executable code as in present shipping product. I guess by now, there are later versions. Is this crashing behaviour a known problem, maybe, with 'CoDeSys V3.5 SP1 Patch 2' ?

The really odd thing here, is that I was using 'CoDeSys V3.5 SP1 Patch 2' around 6 months ago, on the Win7 PC, and I had no such error message then ! There's been a few dozen Windows updates come down the pipe since then, mind.

Help !!

Best regards,

David

• davidhalbur - 2023-03-31

I'm having a similar issue and tried the same troubleshooting. any solutions?