Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

How long can a WSTRING be in CodeSys V3?

Volvo742
2018-03-21
2020-06-10
  • Volvo742 - 2018-03-21

Hi!

How long can a WSTRING be in Codesys V3 if I concat it with Standard64 library?
    Is it maximum 1000 characthers or does it depends how many memory I have left to use?

So I can concat a array for 1000 elements to one WSTRING if each element has e.g 5 characters?

Best regards

• e.kislov - 2018-03-21

Volvo742 hat geschrieben:
    Hi!
    How long can a WSTRING be in Codesys V3 if I concat it with Standard64 library?

255 chars

You can use other methods to do it (pointers, SysMem, etc.)

• Volvo742 - 2018-03-21

e.kislov hat geschrieben:
    255 chars

But isn't that STRING ?

Zitat:
    As a rule, CODESYS does not limit the string length; however, If a variable is initialized with a string that is too long for the data type, then CODESYS truncates the string accordingly from the right.

https://help.codesys.com/api-content/2/ ... -3s-string m

• e.kislov - 2018-03-21

"String functions" are all functions which used for any strings. No matter STRING type (ASCII-based charset) or WSTRING (Unicode/UCS2) - only 255 chars supported in Standard/Standard64 library.

• Volvo742 - 2018-03-21

e.kislov hat geschrieben:
    "String functions" are all functions which used for any strings. No matter STRING type (ASCII-based charset) or WSTRING (Unicode/UCS2) - only 255 chars supprorted in Standard/Standard64 library.

Ok. So there is no idea to have a longer string?

Who set the 255 limit? That's very bad.

• e.kislov - 2018-03-21

As I say before - pointers, SysMem...
    So you need to use memory manipulation.

• Volvo742 - 2018-03-21

Edwin Schwellinger hat geschrieben:
    Hi,
    would recomended to use StringUtils.library!
    BR
    Edwin

Thanks! So there is no limit for StringUtils library?

• Volvo742 - 2018-03-21

I included the library StringUtils, but still, the maximum string length is 80 chars.

IMG: Capture.PNG

IMG: Capture.PNG

• Lo5tNet - 2018-03-21

You need to use the function calls in Stu and not the Standard library. For example:

Stu.Standard.LEN should really be Stu.StrLenW
    Stu.Standard.CONCAT should really be Stu.StrConcatW

If you look at the data type of Stu.Standard.LEN/CONCAT it is looking for a string input which has the 255 character max. This means anything you pass it automatically gets truncated if it is larger than 255. The Stu.StrLenW input is looking at a pointer which it will iterate through until it finds the terminating zero character. This gives it a way to not be size restricted.

So for your code try

StringLength := Stu.StrLenW(ADR(TomString));

StringLength needs to be DINT. This is like how Edwin did it but he used WSTRING instead of STRING so different function calls are needed.

• jtebokkel

jtebokkel - 2020-06-10

Last edit: jtebokkel 2020-06-10