Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Little Confused

moggsie
2018-03-20
2018-03-22
  • moggsie - 2018-03-20

I have declared an FB with VAR_IN and VAR_OUT data types

I call the FB from a _MAIN having declared the FB data type

When I call the FB from _MAIN why am I required to provide an Input parameter and not an output parameter ?

I am sure there is a simple answer to this, but the CODESYS help files do not ( to me at least ) reveal the answer as quickly as one might expect.

IMG: codesys_fb_query_1.jpg

IMG: codesys_fb_query_2.jpg

• moggsie - 2018-03-20

OK, the input isn't required.

But it does look a bit like that when you first create the rung ?

IMG: codesys_fb_query_3.jpg

• Anonymous - 2018-03-21

Originally created by: ph0010421

Just enjoy the fact it doesn't all arguments passing.
    Pp

• r.evbatyrov - 2018-03-22

Hi moggsie,

moggsie hat geschrieben:
    OK, the input isn't required.
    codesys_fb_query_3.jpg
    But it does look a bit like that when you first create the rung ?

You can remove ??? either.

Regards
    Roman

• moggsie - 2018-03-22

Roman,

Thanks for the reply

Yes, the ??? can be removed.

It's just that I was confused that the output from the FB never prompted for an output parameter, whereas the input parameter looked like it was required ( though in the end not necessary ).

In fact, it was not even possible to enter an output parameter on the highest output row/position.

Try it, and you will see what I mean.

It does not appear to be logical or consistent behaviour, which always makes me think about what else could cause fun.

• Anonymous - 2018-03-22

Originally created by: ph0010421

Drag an 'assignment' from the toolbox

• moggsie - 2018-03-22

where's that in the online manual ?

Just asking. I know it's probably in there, but you've obviously a lot more experience than I have.

• moggsie - 2018-03-22

Here's a little video to show how "assigments" seem to me behave non-intuitively. I'm sure there's trick, but it's not obvious for the simple-minded.

fb_assigment.wmv [431.35 KiB]

• moggsie - 2018-03-22

To put it bluntly, though I applaud CODESYS for striving to develop an open(ish) platform , it seems to me that there are a few too many "features" that will make this programming environment a niche product. It needs more "polish" before it enters the mainstream.

That said, TIAPortal, RSLogix, Proworx, Unity et al have all been through this pain. Some are still there
    ( and for balance throw in GE CIMPLICITY Control too ! )