CODESYS - the IEC 61131-3 automation software

Welcome to the official CODESYS Forum by 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH | A member of the CODESYS Group
Deutsche Version English version russian version 
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:10 pm 

I've been trying to define a property as a structured variable. It seems that it's not possible to do it directly (see viewtopic.php?t=5577), so I followed the advice in that thread and used a reference. That appears to work as far as programming and compiling goes, however, I'm not seeing the variables when I go online with the controller. The little + sign is there, but when I click on it it disappears, and there's no variables. I've used both {attribute 'monitoring':='variable'} and {attribute 'monitoring':='call'}. "variable" will crash the controller with some of the larger structures.

Code:
TYPE STRUCTUREDVARIABLE :
STRUCT
   Status1: INT;
   Status2: BOOL;
END_STRUCT
END_TYPE

{attribute 'monitoring':='variable'}
PROPERTY Status : REFERENCE TO STRUCTUREDVARIABLE
(Get)
Status REF= _Status;

FUNCTION_BLOCK TestPOU
VAR
   _Status: STRUCTUREDVARIABLE;
END_VAR

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 pm 
Frequent User
Frequent User

Have you called the property? The code doesn't run (i.e. Status is referring to nothing until you call it!). Also, I get a program exception as soon as a assign the attribute monitor to the property (probably because it is not initialized to refer to anything).

I duplicated your project and it is working (I forced some values into _Status):

Code:
PROGRAM PLC_PRG
VAR
   Test : MyFbWithRef;
   Res : T_STRUCT;
END_VAR

Res := Test.Status;

Code:
FUNCTION_BLOCK MyFbWithRef
VAR
   _Status : T_STRUCT;
END_VAR

PROPERTY Status : REFERENCE TO T_STRUCT
(GET)
Status REF= _Status;

Code:
TYPE T_STRUCT :
STRUCT
   Status1: INT;
   Status2: BOOL;
END_STRUCT
END_TYPE

Here is my result:

Attachment:
before-call.png

Attachment:
after-call.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.kebamerica.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm 

So if I understand correctly, a property isn't initialized until it is called from somewhere outside the function block in which it resides. If that's the case I might have to revise my design, as a lot of the status variable properties are strictly for display on an HMI.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:22 am 
Frequent User
Frequent User

Properties are like a special get method or set method. They actually run as code when you call them (you can see when you online debug and step through).

I would probably avoid using properties for HMI use - I typically define a structure T_HMI and list out the variables I am transferring and the. Have one program that copies speaking variables from different parts of the program into the one structure. Use VAR ins/outs and inOuts for linking to HMIs.

I typically define the HMI structure as global and then in my FBs that either give or receive data from the HMI, I define REFERENCE TOs on var ins, car outs or var inouts. Then I set the reference to the element in the global structure.

But that is, of course, only my way of doing things.

www.kebamerica.com