Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Question about EtherCAT

MartyAPD
2017-08-11
2021-11-16
  • MartyAPD - 2017-08-11

Hi,

I would like to set up communication between a Codesys controller and a Beckhoff CX controller. Is it possible to use etherCAT for this?

If not what other protocol would anyone recommend?

Thanks

Martin

• hermsen

hermsen - 2017-08-11

There are many methods to accomplish that.
    What is your intended use and what is your network topology?

In other words, what are you trying to achive?

• MartyAPD - 2017-08-11

Hermsen hat geschrieben:
    There are many methods to accomplish that.
    What is your intended use and what is your network topology?
    In other words, what are you trying to achive?

It is to act as a supervisory system for two other PLCs (Beckhoff CX's) I wish to have the Codesys PLC as a master and the two other systems as slaves. I would normally use Network variables if all Controllers were Codesys based but with two of them being Beckhoff I don't have that option.

• hermsen

hermsen - 2017-08-11

Short anwser: You can go for a Modbus TCP setup.

After some digging on internet I found some interesting information about EtherCAT Automation Protocol (EAP);
    Maybe this can be of some use for you?

"EtherCAT offers multiple types of communication between master devices: this type of strategic communication enables higher level functions such as the EtherCAT Automation Protocol (EAP). It requires only a second network port and the addition of a standard Ethernet switch to enable two or more EtherCAT masters to exchange cyclic (process data) and acyclic data (e.g. service communication). EAP features the direct access of process data from field devices at the sensor/actuator level and also supports the integration of wireless devices."

Good luck and let us know your progress!

• Joan M - 2017-08-11

In order to get a Beckhoff PLC acting as slave in your network you can use one of their EtherCAT bridge cards EL6692 or EL6695 and then you will get a card that will allow you to act as bridge between two masters.

Hope this helps.

• yannickasselin - 2021-11-16

Is EAP supported in Codesys? I am trying to find a way to make 2 controllers talk to each other on a wifi network.