Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

More information on Device address [0058.A0DE]

williamc
2014-01-07
2018-04-17
  • williamc - 2014-01-07

Hi,

I have an application which has my device added. The device is set to 192.168.111.222

When I test application I have to scan my gateway and find my device. I can also add a device and rename it so I can identify it.
    This gives it the form of something like WillsDevice[00DE] active
    Once active I can download my application to device.

Later (perhaps after shutting down PC etc) I try and download project again. However CoDeSys states I must rescan my network.

Now I can see my old device greyed out and a new device WillsDevice[0058.A0DE]. I also notice that this is the same as my Gateway "Gateway-1:0058.A0DE"

Can someone provide me a bit more information about this "Address". How is it calculated, why does it change?

Is there anyway of making this static?

I want to make an automated program but I can't fully automate it if at various times the Device settings saved in the project need to be updated because Gateway address has changed.

Many thanks

Will

• TimvH

TimvH - 2014-01-07

The number is automatically configured.
    When you are directly connected to the controller by an Ethernet cable, the number normally consists of only 4 digits, and is a hexadecimal presentation of the last segment of the IP address: 222 = 16#DE

When you are in a network with a router, you will see that the number will change in 2 segments, where the messages can be routed to other networks (or even passed through serial/CAN connections). This number will then reference to the router/gateway.

If your device supports TCP/IP programming it might be easiest for you to add a device manually in the communication settings dialog.
    In the dialog you can then specify the IP address of your device. In this case the address will not change.

Add device => IP address "192.168.111.222" => set active.

• williamc - 2014-01-07

I'll try deleting all devices then adding via TCP address as opposed to automatic assignment.

Having done this my device reappears but is now WillsDevice[192.168.111.222:11740]

However, after closing down CoDeSys and restarting when I load project and scan network my active device is now set to:

WillsDevice[00DE] so I suspect I am going to soon be in the same situation as before.

• TimvH

TimvH - 2014-01-07

What happens if you don't scan, but just go directly online after opening the application?
    Probably (hopefully ) the previous used channel is still active and you can go directly online.

• williamc - 2014-01-07

Yes, this does normally work.

But sometimes if I shut down the device and my PC then when I go to reconnect it asks me to rescan.

• bacha.damin - 2018-04-17

Hi
    please I would like to know how can I calculate [00E5.900B]
    my gateway is configured by CAN
    thanks