Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Controls Beginner

2012-06-22
2012-06-26
  • FluidPowerTom - 2012-06-22

Greetings,

I'm new to CoDeSys and largely to controls in general. I'm familiar with the basics of ladder logic, structured text, and function block diagrams from academic and limited industry experience. I know the basics of Boolean logic, relays, and digital and analog I/Os. However, still much of controls and especially the networking aspects of controls are very vague to me. I'm wondering if there's any reason for me to learn CoDeSys V2.3 or if starting fresh I should just focus on V3. Also, are there many good tutorials, guides, and/or walkthroughs out there that do a good job of explaining CoDeSys programming? I've gone through the quick start tutorial (garage door opener), but I'm left with questions and would like to go through more similar tutorials.

What exactly are the differences between VAR, VAR_IN_OUT, VAR_INPUT, VAR_OUTPUT, and VAR_TEMP? How exactly do I designate and configure physical I/Os? Is there a good guide or few on coding a J1939 system with CoDeSys?

Thanks for your patience,

Tom

• FluidPowerTom - 2012-06-26

Okay, I've figured out a lot of my questions, but I still can't see how real I/Os are designated for a given controller. I've never worked with an open software like this with a real controller. supposing I have a few digital and analog inputs and outputs - where/how are they configured?

• TimvH

TimvH - 2012-06-26

It depends on the controller you will use. For most controllers automatically some I/O will be added to the device.
    If not, you can right click on your device and select "Add Device".
    Depending on the device you have selected, this gives you the opportunity to add e.g. fieldbus masters and slaves.