Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

EtherNet/IP scanner multicast communication issues

2020-02-22
2020-03-06
  • AlfredoQuintero - 2020-02-22

Hello:

I have purchased four Codesys run time licenses for RaspberryPI for my company's use as well as a Windows run time license. In addition, I have purchased several more for our customers to support their development of real-time Ethernet devices. So I am not an evaluation version customer, but licensed product customer.

We have done extensive testing with Codesys EtherNet/IP scanner functionality for communication with EtherNet/IP adapters communication with another Exclusive-owner scanner with T->O Connection configured as multicast. I think I have identified an unexpected behaviour in the EtherNet/IP scanner functionality for multicast communication.

I have uploaded two attachments. The forum's tool does not allow uploading of pcapng extension files, thus file renaming is necessary to view the files in Wireshark. Attachments are described in 1) and 2) below:

1) 20200221_Codesys_OK_at_the_beginging_pcapng.txt
    please rename to 20200221_Codesys_OK_at_the_beginging.pcapng

2) 2020-02-20_Codesys_OutOfConnections_error_pcapng.txt
    2020-02-20_Codesys_OutOfConnections_error.pcapng

The first trace shows the "NORMAL" establishment of communication. Adapter IP address is 192.168.1.150.
    Non-Codesys Exclusive-Owner is 192.168.1.201.
    Codesys Input-only scanners are the four IP addresses: 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.5.

I do not believe this is an issue with configuration, because as the first Wireshark trace shows, communication can be established normally.

But after some 12 hours of operation, it seems the Codesys scanner has stopped the operation of the input only connection.

In my view this is not a request for support of my application, rather this is my report of what seems to be an issue with the EtherNet/IP scanner, reason why I do not think I should be buying a support ticket for this.

If I cannot get this issue fixed, I may need to think about a different EtherNet/IP scanner for my customers, reason why I am grateful for the attention that can be paid to this inquiry.

2020 02 20_Codesys_OutOfConnections_error_pcapng.txt [22.04 KiB]

20200221_Codesys_OK_at_the_beginging_pcapng.txt [68.48 KiB]

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2020-02-22

Hi,
    if you are on current CODESYS Version (3.5SP15Patch3) and if it still exists, then
    please report this to the CODESYS store -> my question - > bugreport - add all files including the projectarchive.

BR
    Edwin

• Thomas - 2020-03-06

Hello,
    I run a test between Raspi and a PFC200 for 14h without any disconnections.

General:
    To build a connection between 2 Codesys runtimes is very easy. You configure the device and export the configuration into an eds or direct to the device repository.
    On the scanner you can add the adapter you exported.

• Thomas - 2020-03-06

Hello,
    I also tested the configuration with multitask between a Win V3 and a Wago-Controller (750-352).
    I was able to establish the connection.

Regards Thomas