Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

CoDeSys Improvements V2.3

spfeif
2009-05-13
2009-05-26
  • spfeif - 2009-05-13

Here are a few suggestions for improvements to CoDeSys V2.3:

It would be helpful if there were layers on the visualizations so that layers could be turned on and off. Making objects visible / invisible and sometimes stacking objects is sort of archaic.

Allow copying of attributes of controls on visuals instead of copying the whole control. Maybe you want a button to be the same size as a rectangle it would be great to right click and select copy attributes, then select the control to copy attributes from then a list of attributes to copy, instead of using the element list which is very limited.

When a project is opened / first loaded and a library is missing / can't be found, you are presented with an error box asking if you would like to change the library path. The problem is you don't know which library you are missing so how can you provide the path? On the missing error dialog box if you select cancel CoDeSys then presents you with another error box displaying the name of the missing libraries. The missing library should be on the first error box so that you can determine where to find the path of the missing library.

• sra3cf - 2009-05-14

spfeif hat geschrieben:
    When a project is opened / first loaded and a library is missing / can't be found, you are presented with an error box asking if you would like to change the library path. The problem is you don't know which library you are missing so how can you provide the path? On the missing error dialog box if you select cancel CoDeSys then presents you with another error box displaying the name of the missing libraries. The missing library should be on the first error box so that you can determine where to find the path of the missing library.

This can be very annoying.

I have been working with Indralogic for the last 2 years and if there is a missing library then it will display a MsgBox with ALL the missing libs (not one box for each missing lib, which I find annoying in CoDeSys). However, Indralogic does not give you the option to change the location of the libs when loading, which I find better as once the program is loaded you can just change the directories by going to Project -> Options -> Directories...

I understand that Indralogic is restricted to use with Rexroth applications though.

I havent worked with the latest version of CoDeSys yet. I know there is a V3.x out (I have only worked with versions up to V2.2) now that seems alot different that may already have the features/improvements there. So these added benefits may already be there or may not be needed.

• spfeif - 2009-05-14

Thanks for clarifying but I did not mean one message box per missing library but display all missing libraries on one error dialog box. CoDeSys already performs this but after you select cancel to not change the library path. The list should be included in the initial dialog box.

• sra3cf - 2009-05-14

You mention CoDeSys Improvements V2.3.

CoDeSys is upto V3.x so far and seems alot different to the earlier V2.2 (thats the latest version I have had experience with).

• spfeif - 2009-05-14

Yes it is clear but many many PLC MFG are not readily updating to V3 so you are stuck using V2. I only know of a handful of PLC MFG that have taken the leap forward. There are far too many PLC MFG using CoDeSys V2 that it will remain to be supported, case in point my PLC MFG has spent a long time verifying that every option that they have offered on V2 can be ported to V3. They can not guarantee when it will be completed, 6 months, 1 year, never. There are a lot of hurdles to over come before it becomes widely adopted. So I / we still need to develop on V2.

• spfeif - 2009-05-26

Is there anyway to make the Project-Build-Directories any easier to read? Having only one line text box is not easy when you may have multiple paths. It's very hard to read.