Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Opto22 IO Carrier Board (3s Please take note)

tsimpson
2017-04-29
2017-05-01
  • tsimpson - 2017-04-29

Greetings,

I stumbled across a VERY INTERESTING new option board from Opto22. It is the OPTO-P1-40P that links their G4 or Snap IO boards to the Pi. Full information can be found http://info.opto22.com/raspberry-pi-io-selection-guide .

Now comes the problem. On a 16 position carrier board only about 7 IO pins are mappable from Codesys GPIO. What I see as "mappable" (or configurable) on GPIO and Codesys are pins 4, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31. On the Opto22 side, it needs pins 4, 5, 6, 12, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27.

As I see it, this gives only 7 usable pins (or IO points) on the 16 IO board. Even if all pins were mapped directly we would still have only 12 available out of the 16. As this system if properly adapted would give us 16 freely configurable "industrial" I or O points, I feel this would be a good thing to have available!

Now the question(s). Is there already some option for mapping and configuring the necessary 16 IO points in to the Codesys GPIO "device"? If so please advise how I would do that. If I am indeed limited to the current 7 out of 16 points, would it be possible for the developers at 3s to make a "device" that would allow use of the Opto22 pins as configurable GPIO?

Thank you for your attention!

• teichhei - 2017-05-01

If you are after kind of industrial IO have you had a look at Unipi? There are now properly enclosed models that hopefully support codesys soon as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• tsimpson - 2017-05-01

Ive looked at a few different IO options. The reason I LOVE the Opto22 solution is that it can be configured in any combination you wish by switching modules and setting GPIO as whatever combination you want. Add to that the fact that their G4 modules have been used since Moses walked the earth.....well maybe not quite THAT long.....and have proven themselves to be VERY rugged and reliable! Even if you DO manage to burn out a channel, simply remove and replace the defective module.

BEST of all though is because it is so widespread and been around so long, G4 boards and modules are all over ebay CHEAP!