Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Does SysRtcGetTime() Return UTC or Local Time?

tonypdean
2016-11-22
2016-11-30
  • tonypdean - 2016-11-22

Hi,

Can anyone please clarify whether SysRtcGetTime() returns UTC or whether it is corrected for the PLC's time zone setting? The description of the function implies that it is UTC as it says it is the number of seconds since 01-01-1970 but I just want to be sure as I have some odd time shift things going on (and I don't have the PLC in front of me).

Or could it be DT_TO_STRING which is 'correcting' the time to local time?

Thanks

Tony

• Anonymous - 2016-11-28

Originally created by: scott_cunningham

For the CoDeSys Win V3 device, SysRtcGetTime() from SysRtc23 appears to return DT in UTC - at least it calculates the time based on the PC's current time and time zone settings.

Maybe you can assume for the CoDeSys RTE V3 device you get the same results... Be a bit careful, however, it could be hardware dependent... I use some embedded devices that have real time clocks, but no place to set a time zone or daylight savings time, etc. For these devices, SysRtcGetTime() gives my the set time on my device.

• Kim - 2016-11-30

Another way of doing it can be by using these, but maybe this is more oftenly used inside embedded systems without a "Windows" user environment.

DTU.GetDateAndTime
    DTU.SetTimeZoneInformation

First you do a one time initialization upon boot like this:
    fbSetTimeZone(xExecute:=TRUE, tziInfo:=DTU.GlobalConstants.gc_tziTimeZoneCET);

Once that has been executed successfully you can retrieve the time like this whenever you want:
    fbGetDateAndTime(xExecute:=<insert here="" your="" condition="">);</insert>

To create a nice string I usually make use of the Oscat DT_TO_STRF function:
    g_sCurrentDateTime:=BASIC.DT_TO_STRF(DTI:=fbGetDateAndTime.dtDateAndTime, MS:=0, FMT:='#A-#D-#H #N:#R:#T', LANG:=BASIC.LANGUAGE.DEFAULT);
    This will return a string looking like this "2016-11-30 09:37:43"