Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Does codesys software for motion control

2013-03-04
2013-03-19
  • make2011better - 2013-03-04

Hi All

I notice that there are many company able to make use of codesys software for develop PLC program , mainly for I/O control . But for motion control there are only few of them , so i like to know why motion control is so complicated to implement ?

Hope some one can share with me.

• make2011better - 2013-03-05

Hi All

can some one tell me where should i post this type of question to get a reply ?

• sarathbabu - 2013-03-05

My dear friend

Codesys do have motion control just check Codesys softmotion and even basic motion control too and infact many use codesys for motion control rather than just IO control

Sarath

• shooter - 2013-03-05

look at festo,Lenze and many more with codesys motion.

• make2011better - 2013-03-07

Hi All

Thank you for your reply. Especially the Elvis dances on the machine very creative , if use in exhibition sure can attract a lot people .

Back to my main point , So i am right to said codesys V2 or V3 are for PLC logic and Softmotion is for motion control. So for motion control application need to run both software right ?

• spfeif - 2013-03-19

What are you considering motion control? PLCopen? FB that controls the startup/stop and motion of a VFD? Synchronized / multiaxis motion?

PLCopen created classes / interfaces and functionality but no implementation. implementation is vendor specific. So if you are using say Bosch Rexroth then if they support CoDeSys (They do) they will have PLCopen libraries written for their drives.

Almost all motion is manufacturer specific. CoDesys does have virtual axis (V3) that you can use to control motion on other axes but they really don't have motion control. Other vendors integrate their motion control into CoDeSys (V3) that makes it look like 3S did it but they didn't.

• eschwellinger

eschwellinger - 2013-03-19

Steve,
    i would not really agree to that
    'they' have really motion, and this is not a manufaturer supported motion,
    'they' have cnc functionality and plcopen fb's independent from drive manufacturer.
    You could use this with diffent drives and what about CNC Editor and CAM Editor?
    Would say this is really motion.
    cheers