Welcome to our new forum
All users of the legacy CODESYS Forums, please create a new account at account.codesys.com. But make sure to use the same E-Mail address as in the old Forum. Then your posts will be matched. Close

Serial Output through a library?

zebra78
2006-03-01
2016-09-30
  • zebra78 - 2006-03-01

Is there a library that offers the ability to send a character string out through the host computer's serial port?

Jason

• anverheul - 2006-03-16

Hi,

What about SysLibCom?

It allows to open/close serial ports, and to read/write data from/to them.

Or are you looking for something different?

Arie N. Verheul

• zebra78 - 2006-03-22

I thought that was what I should use, but I can't seem to interpret the examples that I have found online. Can anyone post some working POU's with SysLibCom?

Jason

• anverheul - 2006-03-23

Jason,

I've done quite some RS232 interfacing between CoDeSys controlled PLC and other equipment.

Basically I've one task handling one serial port, with one 'low-level' POU (FB) handling basic RS232 actions (sending requests and receiving responses) and a 'higher-level' POU (PRG) determining which subsequent requests to send based on received responses.

The higher level POU is continuously calling (polling) the low-level POU, checking it's status to determine if the low-level POU has finished transmitting the current request, or has finished reading the expected response etc.

The low-level POU is a state machine with several (job)states and several (job)results, and it's only this POU that uses the functions from SysLibCom

Some extra states are needed because the low-level POU is only sending a certain amount of bytes at a time, and also is reading a certain amount of bytes at a time, before handing over control to the higher-level POU (so that eventually also other tasks can get a chance to run).

States:

JOB_IDLE: ( Do nothing )

JOB_SEND_REQUEST: ( Send request )

JOB_SEND_REQUEST_CONTINUE: ( Send more bytes from (large)request );

JOB_WAIT_FOR_ANSWER ( Wait for response )

JOB_WAIT_FOR_ANSWER_CONTINUE ( Wait for more bytes from (large)response )

JOB_PROCESS_ANSWER ( Process response )

JOB_RETRY ( Send request again )

Results:

STATE_READY

STATE_BUSY

STATE_TIMEOUT

STATE_WRONG_ANSWER

STATE_TRANSMIT_ERROR

STATE_INIT

STATE_NOT_USED

Arie N. Verheul

• zebra78 - 2006-03-23

That sounds like a good idea, similar to what I would like to set up.

I have tried using syslibcom.lib, but can't get even the SysComOpen function to work. My plc is configured with the target system being a PCI card with an integrated PLC installed inside my computer. This card does not have any serial ports, and I am hoping to use the host PC's RS 232 port, not a port on the target card.

I have duplicated the code from this post on the German board:

http://forum.3s-software.com/viewtopic. ... hlight=232

but it cannot successfully open COM2.

Is this possible?

• deluxe79 - 2008-10-06

anverheul : Is it possible to have a copy of the source?

Best regards,

Frank

• mravlincek - 2016-09-27

bump: any updates to this?

• shooter - 2016-09-30

check the codesys site